The one dyed red is oak and is close to an accurate representation of the plan I purchased. I found it a little too ornate for my taste, so I freelanced a design for my second attempt.
The thing I like about wood is that it's forgiving. Attempt number two is a case in point. I was working on a flared top with an undercut on the bottom-side. Pretty ambitious and the wood let me know so. A big hunk of the top broke off and went flying across the room. So, I tapered instead of flared.
It looks OK anyway.
When I was buffing that piece for the final finish, the buffing wheel grabbed it out of my hands and shot it across the room. But, wood is forgiving and resilient. It survived pretty much undamaged. A little extra buffing healed the landing injury.
When I mentioned that I was turning candlesticks to my favorite oldest daughter, she said "Oh, I'd like a pair." Groan. It's one thing to make one of a kind, and entirely another thing to make two that look alike. I tried anyway. Here's the result.
Having done that, I was free to freelance a little. I tried another pair, but they're more like siblings than twins. Here they are along with an attempt inspired by a hand-made glass candlestick my daughter owns.
After the ornate one, I left the Baroque period (probably for good) and just played around with shapes. That was the most fun. It felt like I was sculpting the wood.