Saturday, March 23, 2013

Time for Orange Juice

 
Whether it's finished or not , it's done.  After about 50 hours on my first oil painting, we move on to painting number two in class next week.
 
You'll notice the background went from white to red.  I intended it to be red all along so I replaced the white towel I was using for a backdrop with a red t-shirt.  I think the warm background color harmonizes the painting.
 

The oranges are a tad soft now, but are perfect for Orange Juice tomorrow.  After staring at the bottle of wine for eight weeks, I may have to taste some of that too -- but that will wait until after breakfast.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Am I Done?

 
Another six hours invested on my homework.  Am I done?  I sure hope so.  I don't know ho much longer those oranges will last.  Guess I'll find out if I'm done or not in class next week.
 

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Painting I Homework -- Continued


We're finally at the point in the Painting I class were we're mixing paint and getting to paint with colors other than Burnt Umber. We started in class two weeks ago. After a demo we had a about an hour to mix colors and use medium (or a tube substitute for it) to make transparent colors for the first time and begin to paint our classwork still life.

An hour's not enough time to do all that, at least for me, and I felt that, to use a phrase Jack Eden used to use on his radio gardening show, I had "disastered" my classwork.  So it was with much trepidation that I contemplated disastering my homework as well.

It turns out that one of the problems in class was the tube medium substitute wasn't a medium after all.  It was a hard! (Solid instead of a liquid, that is.)  Once I mixed the medium at home, the transparent colors worked like a charm. So I made a (five hour) attempt at mixing paint and painting a first draft over the burnt umber value study (February 10th post).  The plan was to get feedback before trying to fix things.

Alas, the snowstorm last Wednesday put a a kink in my plans.  Class was canceled.  So, here it is after another 3.5 hours tweaking.  I hope I didn't disaster it. Guess I'll find out Wednesday.

 
Here's the set up.