Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Trio

Now for something different.

I was beginning to wonder if ever I would finish another painting.  It's been since August since my last effort.   With all the transitions -- downsizing, two moves and a retirement -- there just hasn't been time.   Also as I started to dive back into painting with the new year, I picked a subject a little over my head which made me wonder if I would ever complete it. 

We'll I don't know if it's complete but it got to the point -- referencing the da Vinci quote: "Art is never finished only abandoned"-- that I'm ready to abandon it.

What made it hard was it was triple portrait of real people in my family.  My wife captured a picture of my daughter and two granddaughters on the day the new one arrived home.  The composition and expressions in the photo capture the joy of those first moments and made me want to paint it.  (The only thing missing from the photo is the beaming dad.)  I didn't think about how hard it would be to paint a triple portrait, though.

I don't think I completely succeeded in capturing the moment, but like I said, I'm done.   Here's the result.


Note to self:  next time tackle something simple!



3 comments:

  1. How sweet! I'm sure your family will treasure it. I love the way mama and daughter are looking into each others' eyes and the baby is looking at her sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You can see the love in that painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....you did good. Better than most of us could.

    ReplyDelete